The CT Breast Health Initiative announced its 2014-2015 Grant Recipients, and recognized sponsors and volunteers on Wednesday in Farmington. CTBHI has raised over 2.9million to date.
Other awards given out included, the CTBHI Mission Award, the Norm Cacchillo Pink Ribbon Award, the CTBHI Community Award, and thePresident’s Award. CTBHI holds this event to celebrate the organizations impact on the community, celebrate the success of research grants, and honor both sponsors and volunteers for their continued support.
This year’s 2014-2015 grant award recipients are as follows:
Community Education Grants
- Andrea Contreras-Munoz – The Hispanic Center of Greater Danbury, Inc.: Heading the Hispanic Center Breast Cancer Project.
- Bethany Carr, APRN-BC, MSN, CBPN-IC – The Hospital of Central Connecticut: Heading Healthy Lifestyles: A Breast Health Program for women at in-creased risk, those currently undergoing treatment, and breast cancer survivors.
Clinical Research Grants
- Kristen Zarfos, MD – The Hospital of Central Connecticut: A 5 year study using breast ultrasound as an early detection of aggressive breast cancers and if earlier stage cancers can be found in young African American women.
- Faryal Mirza, MD – University of Connecticut Health Center: Researching Translational Mechanisms of Bone Loss with Aromatase Inhibi-tors in Postmenopausal Women.
- Angie Kueck, MD, Susan Tannenbaum, MD, and Pam Taxel, MD – University of Connecticut Health Center: Trial of Vaginal Estrogen for Urogenital Symptom Relief in Wom-en on Aromatase Inhibitors; systemic impact versus local objec-tive benefits and quality of life.
- Crystal Park, Ph.D. – University of Connecticut Health Center: Predicting and Enhancing Connecticut Breast Cancer Survivor’s Health Behaviors.
- Melinda Irwin, Ph.D. – Yale University: The Lifestyle, Exercise and Nutrition (LEAN) Study.
- Sarah Mougalian, MD – Yale University: Outcomes of Adjuvant Chemotherapy in Breast Cancer.
The CT Breast Health Initiative, Inc. was founded in 2004 as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Our mission is to make a difference locally in the fight against breast cancer through education and research. Our desire is to find a cure for breast cancer in our lifetime. For more information visit www.ctbhi.org.